Timpanogos Temple

Timpanogos Temple

Tuesday, July 3, 2018

One Month!

What a fine summer day here in the Salt Lake South Mission. Except it’s super hot, so it’s not really that fine. It’s okay though, it helps build character. It’s been a bit of a rough week, but I’ve learned a lot and I’m constantly being humbled by the Holy Ghost. I guess there are still a few lessons I need to learn before I kick the bucket.

This last week was kind of busy and eventful. At some points it felt like we had five places to be at once, while at other times during the week it seemed like we wouldn’t be able to find something to do if we were given specific instructions. It was a rough one for teaching, everyone was either on their seventh vacation of the year, working three different jobs, or trying to recover from the swine flu. In other words, lots of cancelations. We did have a long zone conference on Thursday and were in church  from 8:30 to 4:00 on Sunday. Those were DEFINITELY the highlights of the week, I TOTALLY love meetings. If you haven’t picked up on the sarcasm, I’ll just sum it up by saying that most of the meetings, with the exception of the three sacraments we went to, could’ve been better summarized in an email. Haha nah, I’m kidding, they were all good and I learned a ton!

I’ve slowed down a lot in the Book of Mormon these last few weeks. I finally finished the Book of Ether, which took me way longer than it should’ve. One interesting theme of the middle chapters of Ether are the actions of the Kings and their alternating between righteous and wicked. I think there’s a lot we can take and learn from them that applies to our lives, which really strengthens my testimony that the Book of Mormon was written for our day. Two examples in particular are their polarity from a parents choices and the examples they are to others. The first one, the polarity, comes from the fact that one king might’ve been super wicked and evil, and the next in line (usually his son), might’ve been a paragon of righteousness. It doesn’t matter what our situation or upbringing is, it is our choice whether we follow our Savior’s example, live the gospel, and keep the commandments. I’ve heard lots of stories of people whose parents have shunned the gospel and even been antagonistic towards the church, but have chosen for themselves to start on and stay on the covenant path. A few of those I’ve actually met, two in particular, are still serving in the Utah Orem Mission. The second one, the example they lead to others, isn’t seen on so large a scale in our own lives but is important to remember. Often times throughout the Book of Ether, when the king was righteous the people were too, and vice versa. Our example affects others more than we know, even when we can’t see it.

Well, I am running out of time and didn’t realize it was so close to 6:00. A few other things we’ve done this week: I got to go to the Salt Lake City temple and hike the Y at BYU as part of departure activities; we moved apartments; we almost ran out of gas because the Orem Mission took our gas card and the Salt Lake South Mission hadn’t given us one yet; President and Sister Killpack finished their mission (super sad); and we got to go to the baby blessing of the son of a recent convert Elder Johnson and I baptized when we were companions last year. All were awesome experiences! I hope y’all have a great week and stay safe on the 4th of July! Light off a few fireworks in my name!

Elder Orchard


Master Chef PK doin' his thing.

Sunset from the Y trail.

The van was full, so Elder Somma and I were alienated in the back seat.

Our salamander friend we found on the trail. We named him, but I forgot what it was and I don’t want to guess wrong and offend him.

No comments:

Post a Comment