Timpanogos Temple

Timpanogos Temple

Monday, October 3, 2016

Transfers, golfing, and Samcakes!

Hey Everyone!

Once again I was slacking last week and wasn't able to get a post up. I promise I'll do better in the future! These last few weeks have been pretty eventful. Last Tuesday was the two month since I've left, and it feels like it has flown by. I can't help but feel like it is in part because of everyone's thoughts and prayers, which I am ever so grateful for.

A lot has happened in the last two weeks. First of all, the weather is finally starting to cool off. It went from being 90* one day to about 45* the next. That was a little over a week ago, and it warmed back up to the mid-80s last week, but it is starting to cool off. That day it got down to 45* it rained a lot, and there was a ton of snow on the mountains. It all melted since, but the temperature dropped again today and I can tell that is snowing up on the peaks again. I love it when it does because the view of the mountains is so beautiful.

Last Wednesday were transfers and I got moved to a new area with a new companion. His name is Elder Fairbanks, he is one of 17 kids, 12 of which were adopted from Russia, and he is one of those 12. He is a really great guy and we get along really well. I was sad to leave my old area because I have grown really close to a lot of the people there, but I am looking forward to the changes that lie ahead. Wednesday morning before the transfers we were able to stop by one guy in particular that we have been meeting with a lot and we were able to give him a blessing. It was a really special experience and I am glad we made the sacrifice of getting up extra early to make it work.

This new area is called a "car-share area". We have a car, but we only have it every other week. Fortunately, we had it the first week I was here. Unfortunately, we are going to lose it for a week on Wednesday. At least there is no shortage of members in the area who are more than willing to tote us around from appointment to appointment. It will definitely be an adjustment, seeing as I'm used to having a car the whole time last transfer. I know though that many blessings will come from the sacrifice of traveling on our own and I am actually kind of excited to see how it goes.

A few weeks ago we were able to go the Timpanogos temple. It was such a great experience. I love being able to go back to the house of The Lord and feel the spirit there. I never get tired of being able to go and I am glad that we are able to go at least once a quarter as a mission.

With the transfer coming to a close, we had to squeeze in our district activity during the last p-day available. We went to a golf course on the very northern part of the zone and hit some golf balls at the driving range for free. I had maybe one or two good hits out of about 50 swings, but it was a good time nonetheless. It was great being able to spend some quality time with the great Elders in our district.

On one of the rare occasions that our dinner appointment cancelled, my companion and I decided to try out a restaurant called "Big Island Sam's". Being a missionary in Utah, of course someone was generous enough to pick up our bill, which made our meal even better. We both got the "Samcakes", the restaurants variation of regular pancakes. The waiter told us they were bigger than our heads, and I figured the waiter was just using that as a way to say they were bigger than normal. When he brought them out, they were quite literally bigger than our head. Neither of us could finish them they were so big. It was probably one of the best meals we've had so far, simply because of the sheer size of the pancakes.

Well, that's all I have for now. I hope there is enough to make up for slacking last week! I greatly appreciate all of the thoughts and prayers from everyone and look forward to hearing from family and friends. Until next time!


Elder Orchard




No comments:

Post a Comment